Welcome to The Pennsylvania Surgery and Laser Center!
Your surgeon will work with you to schedule your child's pre-admission testing and surgery date. To minimize your wait time, we ask that you complete our online registration form or contact one of our nurses at (215) 821-3131.
A few days before your child's procedure, you will receive a phone call from one of our nurses who will provide you with important instructions on how to prepare for your child's procedure. The nurse will review your child's past medical/surgical history, current medications, pre-operative instructions and answer any questions you may have.
On The Day Of Your Child's Procedure
Please arrive at least 1 hour prior to your scheduled procedure. Upon arrival, you will be greeted by one of our registration staff who will ask you to fill out any additional paperwork, sign admission documents and answer any questions you may have.
- Please be sure to bring your insurance card and some form of identification such as a driver’s license, passport or military ID.
- Do not allow your child to wear any jewelry or bring any valuable items.
- To help your child feel comfortable and secure, you may want to bring a favorite toy, blanket or other item from home.
- Please bring your child’s bottle, special cup or special formula if needed.
Meeting Your Surgical Team
You and your child will be taken you to the Pre-Operative area where you will meet with a nurse, an anesthesia provider specially trained in pediatric anesthesiology, and your child's surgeon to review your child's health history and answer any questions your may have about the procedure.
After Your Procedure
Immediately following your child's procedure, your child will be transferred to the PACU (post-anesthesia surgery care unit) for intensive monitoring and close observation while they are recovering from anesthesia. Children awaken from anesthesia at different rates, so recovery times vary. During your child’s stay in PACU, parents are welcome to stay with their child.
- Only two adults may accompany the child at the bedside.
- Please make care arrangements for siblings on the day of surgery since children are restricted from the PACU.
When your child is ready to be discharged, the PACU nurse will review post-operative instructions for your child. Your child will be discharged from the PACU when he/she is awake, alert and drinking fluids.
The Next Day
Expect a phone call from one of our nurses 24-72 hours following your procedure. We want to make sure your child's pain is well-controlled, that they are tolerating their normal diet and activity level (if your physician allows), that they don't have any signs or symptoms of infection, and to ensure that you have a follow-up appointment with their surgeon.